postcard_lespauvresneveulentpastravailler_rectoengWe are tired of hearing that people living in poverty are poor because they do not want to work. The reality is so much more complicated than that! Here are a few facts and figures to help deconstruct the myth that people living in poverty are lazy. More »

Logo campagne

People on welfare have it easy”, “People living in poverty don’t want to work”,… For the past several months, members of the ATD Fourth World mouvement have been working together to create a set of simple, clear and effective tools to help put an end to the myths and misconceptions that surround poverty; online quizzes, posters, postcards, videos, forum theater, etc.

We call upon the support of our members and of our friends to help us raise the $5000 necessary to carry out our campaign.

More »

Sorry, this entry is only available in Français.

pays_egalitaire_bannière-ang

From 1982 to 2010, the inequalities between the richest 1% and the remaining 99% of the population increased. In constant dollars from 2010, the average income (after taxes) of the richest 1% increased by 86%, while the More »

affiche_onnapaslesmoyensdenfiniraveclapauvrete_engWe often hear that we do not have the means to put an end to poverty, but studies show that maintaining people living in poverty costs more than adopting measures necessary to prevent it. Costs connected to poverty are higher than the budget that would be necessary to guarantee a sufficient revenue for everyone.

DSC_6820To mark the Week of the Dignity of People receiving Welfare, Project Genesis organized a rally outside of their office on Friday, May 9th.  Speeches, music, poems and the distribution of ATD Fourth World’s first postcard “People on welfare have it easy” by ATD volunteers and by other community organizations were among the highlights of this event.

More »

communique-presse mauve

“People on welfare have it easy”, “People living in poverty don’t want to work”, “We don’t have the means to put an end to poverty”, … people living in poverty are constantly faced with prejudices that hurt and exclude them.

Beyond the practical difficulties, the judgement of others constitutes an act of violence, which undermines the dignity of women and of men who are already surviving under difficult conditions.

For the 41st Week of the dignity of People receiving Welfare, the question arises: can we really say that “people on welfare have it easy”? More »

affiche_bs_engCertain people suggest that people on welfare have it easy.

In reality, the welfare rate is barely enough to cover half of a person’s basic needs (housing, clothing, food, medicine, etc.).

More »

24hforworldpeace

ATD FOURTH WORLD

participates in the online vigil


24 Hours for World Peace

« The violence of contempt and of indifference creates misery, because it inevitably leads to exclusion, to the rejection of one human by the rest of humanity »
(Father Joseph Wresinski) More »

DSC_5340

After reflecting on citizens’ involvement within small groups, 47 people got together at the Fourth World House in Montreal to exchange knowledge on the subject. These people were from different parts of Quebec, and wether they were living in poverty or not we could observe that everyone was involved in the life of his or her district.

More »

 Foule2As it is the case every year, several events were held around the world to celebrate the International Day for the Eradication of Poverty, initially set up by the ATD Fourth World Movement.

In Quebec, marches are taking place in Rouyn-Noranda, St-Jean-sur-Richelieu, Granby and Sherbrooke. There is theatre in Quebec City, meetings in Rimouski, Magog, Victoriaville, Trois-Rivières, Repentigny, Bonaventure, etc. More »